Sunday, November 30, 2014

Of Rain, "the Black Cat" and after Thanksgiving thoughts and other thoughts~~~~

Hello Darklings

I woke up to a wet, damp, rainy morning.  Time for a good hot cup of coffee I always say.  

 
I woke up early this morning, just before 7 a.m. and with all the cloud cover it was darkish, I had to turn on a few lights as I made my way down stairs just to not trip over anything.   As the water was heating up I stepped out onto the back porch while the rain had stopped and was astonished at the Silence I heard, you can hear Silence because it’s the absence of sound. 

Oh there was sound, the slow drip, plop of water running off the roof edge and the tips of tree branches, but nothing from the street or freeway hum, no street sounds, not even birds, no dogs barking in the distance, nothing, complete silence and stillness.  That is such a rarity in this busy hustle and bustle age.

 I looked across the fences to some of the neighbors houses, through the bare trees and saw an occasion warm yellow glow of a light in a window, someone was up, either making coffee like myself in the downstairs kitchen  or an upstairs window that told me that either they were going to church or an early morning sale. 
It had a sort of Thomas Kinkade feeling, wet, silent, very cool, with splotches of warm light in a window here and there.  And I breathed in the fresh rain washed air, and enjoyed the dampness around me, my feet warm in thick slippers, geared for cold days and nights.  

The silence was finally broken by the arrival of two very small birds, too large to be finches, not wild canaries, and just a little too small to be sparrows, they might be chickadee’s, and they did a bit of “chit, chit, chittering” between themselves and then in the distance the very muffled roar of the jets of a plane taking off from SFO airport.   The earth and surrounding urban civilization was slowly waking up, and the coffee was ready.

The dogs refused  to do their business, at least for now, “Nos Mummy is tu wets” but they did eventually.   No one, not dog nor human can hold their bladder forever.
Sis and I are not going  today to do grocery shopping, it would be too insane with the shoppers, so we’ll do it tomorrow morning, not that we need much, just a few staples, milk, bread, cold cuts for sandwiches and such.  We had so much left overs from Thanksgiving for the weekend that we are doing good, even with all the food that we gave for people to take home.
And so much that we froze to heat up, I think we're really good for the week, although I think Doyle may get a bit tired of Turkey sandwiches to take to work, even if there is cranberry spread on them.
No, both Sis and I will each do in our respective houses  a few more indoor projects, another load of laundry, more sorting and such.  Then tomorrow I’ll balance the checkbook, do some banking and such so we can gear up to take care of other things later in the week, like paying the property taxes.   And addressing holiday cards, I just remembered I need to put postage stamps on the list. 

Last night we stayed up to watch Svengoolie's presentation of "The Black Cat" 1934 with Karloff and Lugosi, perhaps one of the best Art Deco styled and Goth horror films I've ever watched, Karloff with that sibilant evil lisp and Lugosi giving one of the best monologue performances in the end as his character is dying, it is broken up in a way, and only runs just over an hour, as I understand it the Head Office was concerned about some of the scene's that would have really tied the movie up better but they insisted on having it re-filmed.  But still in the Bright Art Deco sets, that sense of dark evil hanging over it.

I'd have to say it was one of the better Horror films of the early 1930's difficult to re-capture.

Thanksgiving dinner was a success, the tables groaned with good food, good conversation and good family and friends, the younger boys putting olives on their fingers and eating them off, its a good thing I bought several cans of olives because I remember doing that too when I was a child.

Then as the food settled, we settled in the formal parlor with coffee as the Turkey tryptophan took over, and the children fell asleep on the rugs with Weiner Dog and Belladonna nestled among them, as we chatted about this and that, and candles burned in the fire place making a cozy scene.

I thought the Men folk wanted to watch football, the Niner's were playing, but our brother via a text on his cell phone had the score and said its not worth watching them go down in defeat.  After a bit Coralline and her older brother woke up and laid there listening to us adults talk about things, reminiscing at times, while the younger children continued to sleep.

One of our guests asked me why do I dress sort of old-fashion, and why do I keep the house old-fashioned and I explained to them why, and that modern conveniences such as microwave ovens, washers and dryings and computers and cd player are not far away, just hidden, and how I, Sis and Doyle have a tendency to eschew ultra modern trappings for some thing's  and an era that is far simpler, but is no less complex.

Our guest understood in a way because he and his wife said that they felt totally relaxed for the first time in ages, even if we did have some quirky things in the house, but it was a good feeling.

But all good things had to come to an end and as it drew late everyone had to leave but not without some food bundles to take home.  And yet still we had a lot left over.

Doyle being a wise person recorded the 11 p.m. news last night for us to watch this morning as we didn't want to miss watching the late night movie.

So as I listened to it I was dismayed to hear that in Oakland the small locally owned business did not do very well on Small Business Saturday, the demonstrations that turned into riots earlier in the week, scared many people away so that people were afraid to come into Oakland to shop.

The protests did not do our local small business owners any good, and for many the Holidays is when they are going to either make it or not. 

It reminded me of something I just recently read in a Dean Koontz Odd Thomas novel "Deeply Odd" I looked for the statement and I quote it here:

"The wisdom of the most sagacious ancient Greeks, the wisdom of the most perceptive rabbis of ancient Canaan, and all the parables of Christ teach us to believe not in justice, but in truth

In a world of rampant lying, where so many lies are used to inflame passions and justify false grievances, the indiscriminate pursuit of justice leads sooner of later to insanity, mass murder, and the ruin of entire civilizations. 

Therefore, those who wish to punish the current and future generations for the inequities of a generation long gone, and who equate justice with revenge, are the most dangerous people in the world."

I think we have had another demonstration of this hunt for alleged "justice" and it satisfies no one, it only separates things further, it does not bring things together.  It only hurts those who are trying to make it in this world, it only harms those who live thousands of miles away  or only 1 mile from the original "flashpoint".

I do not have any answers but I do know that change must come from within, within a community, within a family, within an individual, some people call it and I just recently heard it again, "the broken window" theory, if one window is broken then others think its o.k. to break the other windows until a house, a building, a block and eventually an entire neighborhood is broken.   But if people come together to fix that broken window to turn in the evil doer who broke it, then it turns back the evil that seeks to creep into the neighborhood and into people's souls. 


It's like cancer, most cancers can be cured if caught early enough and gone after aggressively enough,   I should know, I've survived two bought's of cancer because I suspected something and I and my doctor went after it aggressively and I've been cancer free for 10 years. 

Education is the first step, encouraging children to stay in school is the second, helping people become independent is the third and a community working together to achieve that is what it takes. 

The holidays are tough times for many people trying to make it, and I and those I love support those organizations that help those in need.  And that is a good way to give to others, because little things as imperceptible as they may be can reap huge rewards that reach out to millions. 

And we have to start by fixing one broken window.

Later Darklings

No comments:

Post a Comment