Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Of More on Film Noir 2014~~~

Hello Darklings,

Well I guess you thought I had abandon you,  I have not.

I have been enjoying the most marvelous Film Noir Festival YET!  And all very international.

It started off opening night with two classics, Journey into Fear and Carol Reed's "The Third Man" with Joseph Cotton and Orson Wells, that long walk by Valli, towards Joseph Cotton, will she, won't she, will she won't see---I'm not going to tell you the ending if you haven't seen it.

Saturday was an exhausting viewing day but exhilerating, a triple Matinee Bill from Mexico, then with just enough time to grab a bite to eat and back to see the restored film of "Too Late For Tears" with Lizabeth Scott and Dan Duryea, and the Hitch-Hiker.

Sunday it was Japan, but we had a choice of seeing the afternoon showings or evening, and we chose evening, Sis wanted to go to Niles to the Antique stores and do a little shopping.  Going to the Antique Stores in Niles is DANGEROUS for me, I always find SOMETHING and we were already dressed in our vintage clothing, but I wore flats for comfort walking (well they were cute flats).

And I saw IT, yes my Darklings, IT a wonderful in deep Maroon late 30's early 40's hat, made in Paris, with a raised brim that frames the face, and a bit of gold chain for decoration, with a bit of pleating for effect.  The minute I put it on I KNEW I wanted IT.  My Sister also found a hat in beret style but on a frame, in black velet with a Maroon velvet top, and it looked PERFECT on her,  if we weren't careful we would have bought out the shop.  Decisons! Decisions!

But we couldn't stay too long if we wanted to be at the Castro Theatre in time for the 6 p.m. showing of Drunken Angel  followed by Stray Dog, both directed by Kurosawa with Toshiro Mifune in both of them, these films were done in the late 1940's after the war, Stray Dog was rivienting and showed a post-Hiroshima Japan.  At bit sobering but wonderful films.

Now I'm going to join my sister for tonights presentation from Germany  "The Murderers are Among Us" and "Berlin Express" both filmed just after the war. 

I tell you My Darklings, if you are into Goth you must also be into Noir, the study of human folly, the dark side of the mind, as presented internationally is so eye-opening, to see what was thought of in the human mind espeically in those countries Germany and Japan after World War II.

Eddie Muller and the Film Noir Foundation are educating the masses.

Oh and for those of you who love the twistings of Hannibal Lecture, he's coming back on Feb. 28---happy late Valentine's Day. 

Now I must go, I don't want to be late.

Later Darklings 

No comments:

Post a Comment