Sunday, April 6, 2014

Of being lazy (well not really)~~~

Hello My Darklings,

I know I have not posted in over a week!!!  Well with the rains and thunderstorm, and work, and allergies things have been a bit crazy. 

And if I were to try and put it all in one post---well then I'd get serious typers cramp, its sort of like writer's cramp but the fingers sort of freeze up.

I think the most difficult thing was the thunderstorm, poor Sis was visiting a friend and noted that the sound of thunder was getting closer and closer to her friends house and even her friend remarked about it when suddenly, both of them felt a tremendous pressure on their heads, and the neck hairs started to stand up.

Sis said she felt a tingling along her arms and then suddenly POW!!! KA-BOOM!!! Both Sis and her friend felt as if a house had exploded, so they dashed out into the rain to see if their was a fire but instead what they saw was car windows smashed, chucks of a tree a redwood tree all over the place, some houses had their windows smashed or cracked and a 80 foot redwood tree was reduced to 25 feet and splinters.

Police and Fire showed up and fortunately no injuries but a number of nervous people.

The house had some damaged to the roof line, but no one there was injured.

When I came home from work, well I have to confess I was enjoying the rain and saw some lighting but I had no idea that it struck close to my sisters and her friend.   But as I said when I came home from work, there she was and her friend (and her friend had an overnight bag), but they both looked white as sheets, my sister offered the hospitality of my home to her friend, which I didn't mind considering the situation.

But the next day we had to go back to see the damage and it was jaw-dropping, the power of nature, how it just destroyed that tree, and people picking up pieces of the wood as souvenirs of this event, even I picked up a piece.  And yet it didn't catch on fire.

The theory is that enough electricity had built up and considering that the redwood tree was the lone tall object in the neighborhood it became the flashpoint, but since wood is not a very good conductor it simply exploded.  Thank goodness it wasn't a flag pole that could have been worse.

Sis's friend felt better to stay back in her house, but Sis decided to stay with her to help her check everything just in case and then took a taxi home. 

And this all took place just the day before April Fool's day, well it was no April Fool that's for sure.

Tuesday evening Doyle wanted to go to this Magic Auction he said one of his friends was selling things---Magic Auction???  Well what is this? I thought. 

And what it was was a Flea Market and Auction for magicians either professional or amateur, and I found it very amusing and delightful, strange things that look bizarre suddenly under the magician's hand become something very extraordinary, and entertaining. 

Our "friends",  the haunted couple were there as well looking at things, they told me they had been to the sight of the exploding redwood tree and picked up a few pieces of wood as well,  "the grain of the wood is so unusual I found a piece that appears to have a face in it"  she said and waxed on the idea's of how to incorporate it into an art piece.

I did manage to buy two things, a wand that looks like a Harry Potter Wand and the tip lights up, and a book about a female magician Adelaide Herrmann, she performed from the late 1880's to about 1930 and I found it fascinating as it was unusual for a woman to be performing a magic stage show.

We stayed and watched the Auction and saw different things being bided on including a tiger cage and a very large trunk.  Some of the biding was slow and some became a bit spirited.  And then it was over, so after saying good by to Doyle's friend, we left going out into the chilly rain and deciding whether to stop someplace for coffee or go straight home. 

We decided on the latter as Sis was with the dogs, and enjoyed a nice slice of hot apple pie with decaff coffee, after all we did need our sleep. 

And we took in during the week, a classic movie "The Third Man" with Orson Wells, so noir and the chase in the sewer tunnels in a way you wish Harry Lime did make it but then it was better he was caught,  I do hope we can go to some of the other films, we did skip "The Way We Were" I'm sorry Darklings, but in my personal opinion it is a, in the words of my brother, "a sappy movie", when I saw it ages ago I did not have any sympathy for the characters, and I still don't although some people love it, its not my kind of movie.

But there are others coming and I am looking forward to it.  There was other things I got caught up in between work, the rain, home projects and such that its a miracle I found time to post this.  But I managed.

And now I'm planning the Easter Dinner, I do hope it doesn't rain that day, but if it does Well That's Life as Frank Sinatra said.

Later Darklings



1 comment:

  1. A magic auction? That sounds fascinating:) And the book you got sounds interesting too.

    Exploding redwood tree? Goodness that would certainly be a bit of a terror. We have major storms here in central Illinois...last December we set a record for having a tornado so late in the year. It totally destroyed a small town about 25 miles from us. But no exploding tree only the regular torn out by the roots and splintered trunks.

    I hope you enjoy your "Harry Potter" wand :)

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete