Sunday, August 5, 2012

Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy~~~~

Hello Darklings,

I have a little fishy tale to tell.  

Today one of my friends called me up and asked if I had nothing planned today.  I said "No" not desiring to go to the "Art and Soul" festival which at one time use to be fun, but now no longer holds any interest or pleasure for me.

Well the sweet Darkling came and picked me up and took me to her place to show her aquarium that she is setting up,  to do it right she told me will take several weeks to allow everything to settle in and properly filter before she even puts fish in.

I mentioned before because of all the chemicals that is put into our drinking water one can no longer put one's 10 cent gold fish into a bowl and expect it to survive with the water we have, you have to filter it properly. 

She told me that she wanted to make it bizarre and sort of Goth and I said jokingly "How do you Goth up an aquarium except to put Piranha fish in it and bones"  and she said "Forget the Piranha fish how about the bones?"   I have to admit I was stumped.  But since she offered to treat me to a late lunch we went to one of the better known pet supply stores.

I have to admit I was entranced by the Beta's or as they use to be known as "Fighting Fish", with the various colors and fin tails so sinuous, but we were looking for bizarre,  and I came across the very thing.  They have these various statues and such to put into an aquarium to add interest.  Ages ago it use to be the diver or a mermaid or a sunken ship or something cutesy.   But a small triceratops skull???   Yes Darklings a made for one's fish tank using those materials that are safe for fishes triceratops skull,  looking dead enough with bones enough.

I fell in love with it and so did my friend, so selecting that as well as a sufficient amount of black gravel it became the start for her bizarre Goth aquarium,  but when she showed me the size of the aquarium that she had I said it might not be enough for hidy places for her fish, so we looked around and found a human skull half the normal size but in size balance to the triceratops skull,  the background to the aquarium will be black as well so black background with black gravel those skulls in a stark setting with just enough light at night to be ghostly.

So I asked her what type of fish is she going to get, she said she wanted to be basic and get goldfish, I have to admit I groaned at the thought of something so mundane, but she had found a place that has gold fish that are almost all white the owner breeds them to be that way and they only have the tiniest aura of gold which gives them a ghostly look.  I can imagine them swimming in and out of the eye sockets of the skulls or picking bits of fish food off of the skulls. 

I asked my friend why she decided on an aquarium and she discovered she needed something relaxing, she had gone to the Montery Bay Aquarium and was entranced by the Moon Jellies and felt so mesmerized by them.   She had a spot in her home that was perfect for an aquarium so she went with the investment, she felt that it would be no harder to take care of than a kitty litter box and she'd get a mental benefit from it as well.

Considering her work schedule I knew that having a dog, cat or even a bird would be difficult but an aquarium would be perfect, especially for her bizarre tastes.

So in a few weeks when the Ph levels of her tank is just right I will go with her to purchase her fish and enjoy the total effect.   Already without the fish in it I find it absolutely morbidly beautiful.  And I think I'll plan on a two day trip to the Montery Bay Aquarium for a little relaxation.

Later Darklings

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to tell you how very much I am enjoying your blog; I happen to be an Elder Goth, myself-- I'll be 50 years old next year, yet I still play bass guitar in a Gothic Band, work full time as Tarot Reader in an Occult Bookstore-- this is my life. Thank you, for reminding me that my taking part in the things I love doesn't have to have an expiration date. Keep on writing. :-)

    Warmest Regards,
    Raven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Raven!! Of late I have been having fun in discovering things. I'm glad you are enjoying my musings.

    And Warmest Regards and Thoughts to you,
    Vampire Rose

    ReplyDelete