Sunday, July 29, 2012

Wearing Black, the SPF levels and Victorian Trading Co.~~~

Hello Darklings,

Just the other day I heard an interesting news report.  It has to do with the color of clothing that you wear and skin cancer.

Protecting one's skin from the sun's harmful rays is always important, it prevents premature aging of the skin and lessens the possibility of skin cancer.  So wearing clothing is important, especially clothing that covers you as much as possible.

All my life I have never been a big fan of getting a tan, as a matter of fact I always thought that tanning one's self was very drying and damaging for the skin.  Now one does need to get a certain amount of time in the sun to help activate vitamin D, so very important for one's health and especially to avoid suffering depression in the Winter months. 

I have found that if I'm out in the sun say for a morning walk before 10 a.m. or after 3 p.m. I'm just fine, and I wear a hat, long sleeve shirts or T's and slacks.  I've found it to be very protective.

And frankly the idea of tanning beds or booths, even a spray on tan is totally ridiculous, extremely unhealthy and should be avoided like the plague.

But now with this new report, it seems the color of the clothing you wear is also important.  Colors can give you a certain amount of SPF protection and surprisingly white gives you only a protection level of 7 while green gives you a protection level of 10,  but it is dark blue and, our favorite color, Black that gives you an SPF protection level of 50,  yes Darklings 50!!!

And it makes sense.   If you have ever seen photo's of the desert tribesmen called Tuareg's all their protective clothing is either black, dark blue, dark red hardly any light colors and they live out in the sun blasting desert of the Sahara. 

Of course the type of weave and what the cloth is made from is also important, so wearing clothing that can also wick away sweat is essential.

Now if you are in a job in which you work nights then it is important to take vitamin D tablets as well to keep healthy.

So Darklings, wearing Black, Dark Blue, Dark Purple, and even Dark Dark Green is so in for Summer wear in your clothing.

And you'll never feel out of style, and if you want to wear white you can wear it for evenings or nights when you don't feel in such a dark mood.

And now for something completely different~~~~

Darklings I just got in the mail my Victorian Trading Company catalogue and already they have wonderful things for Halloween,  both cute, Gothic and Victorian, so much so that I'm going to have a hard time on what to order although there are a couple of pins I do admire, one of them perfect for Gothic romantic memento mori.  

Now I'm going to be mean and not tell you---so what you are going to have to do is go to their web site and peruse their wares and have fun. I have it posted on my Links section.  That way you can decide what would best fit your mood and your particular style.

I must go Darklings, nearby is being offered an Art and Wine Festival that is fun to attend and yes, I will be using my hat and parasol to protect my skin.

Later, Darklings

No comments:

Post a Comment