Sunday, April 11, 2010

Dressing for the Elder Goth~~~~





I just went to the Dress Barn this last weekend and it was “a good thing.”

The Dress Barn is for middle class but upwardly mobile working women, their clothing is not too old fashion and not too girly but can be something in between, and it can be for 20 something’s or oldsters like me from size 4 to 24.

But what I like about Dress Barn is that they can have pieces that are perfect for the type of Goth look that I want without looking ridiculous.

For example I found on their clearance rack (60 to 70 percent off) 4 mock turtle neck pull over sweaters, in a deep dark teal color in a jewel tone, and most importantly in my size, so I got all four---I say if it looks good and the price is right, then stock up.

I also found a necklace and matching earrings that went with those sweater tops and would go with anything else that I had without it being crosses or anything like that.

And shoes, on sale (even better) in 30’s 40’s retro style, in my size and comfortable (absolutely the best of all worlds) and would go with the rest of my wardrobe (perfect).

So for Elderly/Retro Goths like me, don’t discount the Dress Barn or TJMAX, just keep hunting and know what you want.

One Fashion style of Goth irregardless of music taste is the Corporate Goth look, which looks very good on an Elderly Goth who is into retro styles; you can get away with so much and encourage the yearlings to improve their looks as well, unless they really are too much in love with the grunge look or over the top piercings.

One has to remember budget, budget, budget, but to me the best Corporate/Business Goth look is Merle Streep in the “Devil Wore Prada”, not all the looks on her in the movie are good, but you can ascertain what the best of the best is.

The hair style Streep wore is not for everyone, you have to have the right face for it, but something that is suitable for your face with that type of impact, the long straight tresses or bed head look is not for an Elder Goth, she must be ‘deadly’ and maleficent when she has been ‘crossed’.

Sometimes the hair styles from the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s are excellent especially if you are into wearing hats, but forget the beehive look which even at it’s best was silly. I do sort of draw the line at the Betty Page hairstyle, for some reason those straight across bangs can suddenly date you, but sometimes there is a way to modify it, so experiment if you really want bangs.

By carefully searching you can find retro styles that are modern made, and can give that edgy Elder Goth or Corporate Goth look.

Have fun Darklings.

No comments:

Post a Comment